Something gorgeous to ogle over today – my absolute favourite decor theme at the moment: grey & white! And where better to display it to its utmost, but your kitchen. And grey doesn’t have to be one dimensional either. Think dove grey, charcoal grey, stone grey, silver grey, pale white grey…it all looks amazing when contrasting.
Here are 7 beautiful grey & white kitchens that make use of all my favourite textures: wood, blackboard, chrome… soak it up and enjoy!
Chrome, Wood & Blackboard | source welke.nl
Gorgeous Open Kitchen Storage | source Dear Designer
White & Grey Kitchen | source Mrs Jones
Pretty Kitchen Tiles | source Pinterest
Open Kitchen Shelving | source babble.com
Charcoal & White Dining Area | source Klikk
Elegant & Chic Kitchen | source Melanie Turner Interiors
We spent some time house hunting yesterday and came across one house that had the most beautiful French-inspired kitchen. Really well done with a lot of attention to detail: white crockery, glass fronted doors, slightly vintage-styled white wooden cabinets, a butcher’s sink and lots of light airy space…
There’s a lot you can do to transform your kitchen into a French-styled space: a coat of white paint, vintage door handles on your cabinets, strategically placed wooden shelves displaying great knicknacks, wooden detail, open shelves displaying your crockery and even some vintage wallpaper 🙂 Today’s post on The Good Girls Guide is all dedicated to beautiful French kitchens – be inspired and share your inspiration!
Breadboards & Subway Tiles | source Pinterest
Classic Butcher’s Sink | source House Beautiful
Vintage Black & White French Kitchen | source House to Home
Gorgeous Pale Blue Cabinets | source Houzz.com
Mint & Ceramics | source Pinterest
Modern & Vintage Wood | source Pinterest
Cute Storage & French Wallpaper | source Pinterest
As we start the year, many of us will have ‘lose 5 kgs’, ‘get fit’, ‘tone up!’ or something similar at the top of our resolution lists. Well to kick it off in a fun way, I found a stunning (and easy) recipe for a yummy yet healthy dessert on the Pick’nPay recipe website.
Impress your friends with this yummy dish 🙂 Have a happy & healthy day…
ROASTED NECTARINES WITH VANILLA PISTACHIO YOGHURT
- 6 nectarines, halved and pitted
- 100 ml juice and grated peel of orange
- 80 ml agave nectar, plus extra for drizzling
- 50 grams pistachio nuts, shelled and roughly chopped
- 250 ml low fat vanilla yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Toss nectarines with orange juice and place cut-side up in a roasting tray.
- Sprinkle with grated orange peel and drizzle with agave nectar.
- Roast for 12-15 minutes or until heated through and caramelised.
- Scatter with pistachio nuts, dollop with yoghurt, drizzle with extra agave nectar and serve.
More good ideas:
- Swap nectarines with apple or pear wedges.
- Add a generous handful of berries for the last 5-8 minutes of baking.
- Agave nectar can be found in the health section at PnP. If it isn’t available use honey, though the GI won’t be as low.
- Want more yummy and easy to make meal ideas? Check out Pick’n Pay Featured Recipes
I am feeling SUMMER in the air! Wandering down Kloof Street at lunch time today I was accosted by singing birds, whistling painters, cute pastel & lace outfits, open-toed shoes and brilliant rays of sunshine beaming down onto people & cars. Plus, Table Mountain looked pretty amazing.
Made me long for a smoothie! Good thing that Kauai is just a few steps away to meet my craving, but got me to thinking that I need to pull out my stick blender & smoothie maker that have both been hiding away for most of winter.
Speaking of smoothies, I got this great email from YUPPICHEF today (one of the best I tell you) with a link to a great post on smoothie making – here are some of the instructions on how to use the Morphy Richards Food Fusion Stick Blender by Lisa the editor of Spatula Magazine, plus a super delicious banana & berry layered smoothie – just in time for summer!
Ingredients (for two smoothies)
For the bottom layer:
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 ripe banana
1 Tbsp honey
Pinch of cinnamon
For the top layer:
3/4 cup blueberries
1/2 cup yoghurt
Tip: use frozen berries for a super-chilled smoothie.
1. First make your bottom layer. Add the bananas, yoghurt, cinnamon and honey and blitz with the stick blender.
2. Pour the smoothie into a glass and wash out the measuring jug so you can start afresh with your top layer ingredients. Your bottom layer needs to be the heavier of the two. You can put the first layer into the freezer for approximately 10 minutes as this will allow it to set a little.
3. Now blitz together the second layer ingredients.
4. Gently pour or spoon the top layer over the first and serve with a sprig of mint and some fresh blueberries.
My lovely friend Camilla – a qualified doctor, married to an Australian and living the Aussie life right now – is also a FABULOUS cook! Recently she started her new blog F E A S T – and let me tell you, there are some amazing recipes being shared!
Camilla Smith Fowler’s gorgeous new blog FEAST
Calorie-free, most of the food is not, but wowzers does it look amazing! Please pop over to her blog to have a look-see – she posts all her recipes out with pictures too. I’ve included some of my favourites below – I think the peanut butter mousse hi hat cupcakes must seriously take the proverbial ‘baking cake’.
I now vow to be a little more adventurous with my cooking & baking from now on (I have a cool 5 minute chocolate microwave cake to share) – so here goes! 🙂
Peanut Butter Mousse Hi Hat Cupcakes
Chocolate Peppermint Pudding
7-hour Pork Shoulder
Mini Coconut Cupcakes
As it’s Friday (and it’s still cold and rather mis outsides still) – this post is dedicated to the best comfort food in the world – CHOCOLATE! Whether it’s cake, biscuits, croissants, mousse, pudding, cupcakes or plain old blocks – chocolate is still one of the best ‘little pleasures’ in the world 🙂
If you’ve got any great chocolate inspired recipes you’d like to share with the Good Girls Guide readers – please post as a comment below! Always looking for more ways to spoil ourselves, our husbands & boyfriends and our friends 🙂 Have a super weekend everyone! God bless x
all photos from Pinterest.